Dental restorations offer long-lasting solutions to various problems, but they are not always guaranteed to last a lifetime. In the case of composite fillings, some patients may wonder how long the fillings can last before they need to replace them. Here is a closer look at composite fillings and their longevity.
What are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are restorative materials used by dentists to fix dental problems. The material is made of composite resin, a combination of resin, silica, and glass. These materials are engineered to create a translucent paste that can be hardened using UV light. Once the paste hardens, it bonds naturally to the tooth and makes it virtually irremovable. The composite resin paste used for fillings is the same material used for making composite veneers.
When are Composite Fillings Used?
The most common application for composite fillings is to fill in cavities. When your dentist finds a cavity in your tooth, they will first remove the decayed and infected material. Afterwards, they will fill the hollowed-out cavity with composite fillings. Composite fillings work best for small cavities on any tooth surface. For larger cavities, patients will need more intricate dental restorations such as crowns or dental bonding.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
Based on scientific research, composite fillings can last for at least ten years, but some patients could preserve their fillings for more than 20 years. The exact number of years is indeterminate, but fillings may last a good decade with proper care and maintenance.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
There are numerous benefits of composite fillings, including:
- Flexible. Composite fillings are initially paste-like in texture. They can be applied to any part of the tooth, especially on rough and uneven surfaces. Dentists can easily mould the fillings to match the shape of the tooth. Fillings can even be used between the crevices of teeth.
- Natural-looking. The resin used for making fillings has a translucent property that can be combined with natural colourants. Dentists can adjust the shade of the filling to match the patient’s tooth as closely as possible. This makes them unnoticeable to the naked eye.
- Bonds naturally. Composite resin is biocompatible, which means the body doesn’t detect it as a foreign object. Once bonded, the tooth accepts the filling as a natural part of it, strengthening the bond as time passes.
- Safe and non-toxic. Biocompatibility doesn’t only apply to the bonding capability but also the safety of materials. Composite resin rarely causes allergic reactions and does not have harmful chemicals like lead or mercury found in previous dental amalgam materials.
- Affordable. Fillings are widely used for many dental procedures, and they are easily accessible throughout the globe. Applying dental fillings is one of the cheapest dental procedures because of its necessity. Not only that, most dental insurance plans cover a specific number of dental fillings per patient.
Where to Get Composite Fillings in Parkdale
Parkdale Family Dental is the best dental facility in the Parkdale area and neighbouring suburbs. We use the latest dental tools and equipment to ensure patients a safe and comfortable experience. Our highly qualified team of dental professionals are skilled in dental restorations and cosmetic dentistry. If you wish to get composite fillings in Parkdale, please set an appointment with us.